In my newsletters, I include a section called “Table for Two” to give you ideas on where you can take your LEVEL dates. For quick reference, I’m housing them here so you can check back in whenever you need a suggestion.
CLASSIC AND IMPRESSIVE
You can’t go wrong with a restaurant she knows and the city loves. The trick is to choose one that isn’t too loud and has good food.
- Los Angeles: Spago Patio (Beverly Hills)
- Santa Monica: Giorgio Baldi
- Malibu: Nobu
- Venice: Tasting Kitchen Patio (Abbot Kinney)
- South Bay: Fishing with Dynomite (Manhattan Beach)
- San Francisco: Waterbar (Embarcadero)
- Orange County: Mastro’s (Newport Beach)
- San Diego: CUSP (La Jolla)
New restaurants are a great date because they offer so many things to talk about! The atmosphere, decor, menu options, table set up, and the food. Of course, it’s challenging to choose a new venue because you can’t be sure it will be as extraordinary as the reviews promise. Below are the most raved about chef-driven restaurants right now. Bon Appetit!
- Los Angeles: Heart and Hound (Sunset)
- West LA: Native (Santa Monica)
- Venice: Felix Trattoria (Abbot Kinney)
- South Bay: Suburbia (Redondo)
- San Francisco: It Situ (SF Museum of Modern Art)
- Orange County: Mr. G’s (Newport Beach)
- San Diego: Lionfish (Pendry Hotel, Gaslamp)
There’s something magical about a fire. It’s not only charming but also disarming. Place the flames amidst an upscale hotel social setting and your conversation should warm up quickly.
- Los Angeles: Hotel Bel Air Lounge
- Santa Monica: Shutters Lobby
- San Francisco: St. Regis Lobby
- Orange County: Pelican Hill Great Room
- San Diego: Grand Del Mar Lobby Lounge
While the beach is packed with people, marinas are a quiet and beautiful outdoor space for a date.
- Los Angeles: Cast and Plow @ Ritz Marina Del Rey
- Santa Monica: The Penthouse at The Huntly Hotel
- Orange County: Chart House
- San Francisco: Waterbar
- San Diego: The Marine Room
If you’re not meeting a buddy, ditch the dive bar. Impress your date or colleague with one of these beautiful bars.
- Los Angeles: Waldrof Astoria Rooftop
- West LA: Casa del Mar
- Orange County: SOL Cocina
- San Francisco: Roy’s
- San Diego: Mister A’s
TABLE FOR TWO…WITH A VIEW
Take advantage of the warm summer nights and keep it casual with a beach picnic. Have your favorite deli prepare tapas and cheese for two, chill a bottle of wine (don’t forget the corkscrew), grab a blanket, and you’re all set. No reservations needed and you’ll have the best view in the house.
SUN DAY LUNCHES
Enjoy the beautiful, warm daylight with your date as these restaurants with beautiful patios.
- San Francisco: EPIC Steak
- Hollywood: Paley
- Beverly Hills: Polo Lounge
- Venice: Neighbor
- Orange County: Coliseum Grill at Pelican Hill
- San Diego: Jayne’s
THE EXPERTS RECOMMENDATIONS
For suggestions, Eater is my first resource. They have “heat maps” for major cities to tell you what’s popular per season. Check out their list for Los Angeles and San Francisco. The SF edition is brilliant! This extensive list offers first date, second date, long-term relationship options and organizes them by neighborhood and price ranges.
RAISE YOUR HEART RATE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE
Dinner dates can be stale and awkward so why not switch it up? It’s easier to see what a woman is really like when you do something active or outdoors together, plus it lends itself to a more natural conversation. To plan, here’s what you need to consider:
Play To Her strengths: She likes to be active, but make sure she’s comfortable with the activity. You don’t want her to feel weak when you are just getting to know each other.
Deciding On The Workout: Opt for private studio classes instead of working out i nthe gym: SoulCycle, yoga, Barry’s Bootcamp, etc.
Let Weather Be Your Guide: Hikes are a great way to be active and get to know each other. Remember, it’s not her endurance you’re looking at. Use this opportunity to laugh, relax and take the pressure out of dating.
Transition Your Date: If you enjoy your workout date, have a place in mind to grab a bite afterwards where she’ll feel comfortable in her workout gear. Better yet, if you know the date is going to be successful, ask her to bring a change of clothes just in case. Women want to look good for you!